THE FRESHEST KIDS

Friday, October 23, 2009

A BIT ABOUT DJ MARVEL - COURTESY OF FORTUNE SOUND



Q. What was the most memorable party/gig you've played?
A. This past summer at Rock The Bells where I was fortunate enough to DJ for Slum Village. The show had extra significance as the day before Slum had lost one of the founding members of the group - Baatin (R.I.P.) I was super geeked when I walked into the trailer to meet T3 and Elzhi, I just remember thinking whoa these guys came up J Dilla! The show was hype as f*ck and I had goosebumps the entire time, here is some footage to check - video

Q. What are your 3 favourite tracks right now?
A. Busy Signal - Da Style Deh (Douser Remix)
Whitney Houston - Million Dollar Bill
Consequence & Rick Ross - The More I Get

Q. What was the first album you bought?
A. The first cassette I bought was 2 Live Crew - Nasty As They Wanna Be, and hid that from my parents heavy! First CD's I bought were Colour Me Bad's first album and The Mo' Money Soundtrack from A&B Sound in Surrey :) And when I started DJing the first 12's I bought were The Fab 5 Leflur Leflah Escoska and Outkast - Wheels of Steel.

Q. What is your favourite food/meal?
A. My favourite meal right now would have to be tuna belly sashimi from Kadoya...melts in your mouth.

Q. What are your hobbies outside of DJing?
A. Riding my bike, drinking coffee, twitter, learning about new music, traveling.

Q. What are you currently working on?
A. I'm just putting the finishing touches on my throwback mix for Straight Goods on the Beat which should air in the next few weeks. Also, The Freshest are heavily working our "What the F?" mix featuring tons of our original remixes!

Q. What was your first job?
A. Fleetwood McDonald's in Surrey. My fondest memory there was eating random creations in the back room - caramel sauce on hamburger buns stands out as a fav.

Q. What was your first DJ gig?
A. DJing at the Urban Well in Kitsilano which is no longer there. It was a really good place to get my feet wet. Parking was always a biatch so I def paid mad dues carrying a nights worth of records to the spot.

You can download and listen to DJ MARVEL's "High As Hell" mix hosted by Keith Murray here: soundcloud.com/thefreshest/high-as-hell-mixtape

Keep up with DJ MARVEL here:
facebook.com/djmarvel
twitter.com/dj_marvel
marvelmarvel.com
thefreshest.ca

And be sure to check out DJ MARVEL this Friday October 23rd at Happy Ending Fridays for the Team Canada CD Release Party with Eh! Team DJ's D.R. One and Grandtheft. For more info, click here!

No comments: